Traditional Builders, Inc. was founded in January of 2002. It offers full general contracting and historic preservation services to owners and architects who share a commitment to our rich architectural heritage and early building trades.
Preservation of our historic built environment depends on a centuries old legacy of traditional building trades. Every one of our projects is an opportunity to pass on a worthwhile and lasting architectural tradition, just as our predecessors did for us. Our mission is to preserve this inheritance and to keep it vital and relevant for future generations. Our mission is to help to maintain the viability of these important skills and to preserve their availability to the historic built environment.
Traditional Builders, Inc. is managed and owned by John Waters. John earned a B.A. in English Literature from Connecticut College in 1988. Like many English majors, John spent significant time in the building trades and in business management, prior to establishing Traditional Builders, Inc. in 2002. He received accreditation as a professional in Historic Preservation from Goucher College in Baltimore, MD in 1998. In 2000, he completed the two-year apprenticeship program in Preservation Carpentry at the North Bennet Street School, in Boston, MA.
Traditional Builders, Inc. has played a role in the restoration of the following important American buildings:
The Mill Manager's House, Baltimore, MD (ca 1815)
The Engraver's Workshop of Harewood House (ca 1780), Sandy Spring, MD
Maidstone (ca 1745), Owings, MD
The Lincoln Cottage (ca 1842), Washington, DC
The Paca House Gardens, Annapolis, MD
The Pierce Mill (ca 1820), Washington, DC
Derby-Beebe Summer House, Peabody-Essex Museum, Massachusetts
Primitive Hall, Chester County, Pennsylvania
First Unitarian Church, Dedham, Massachusetts
Evans-Mumbower Mill, Ambler, Pennsylvania
Old Eagle Schoolhouse, Treddyfrin, Pennsylvania